Introduction Your boy scout/girl scout troop is planning a camping trip to one of four ecosystems. Ecosystems Choices are Rainforest, Grasslands, Desert or Tundra. When you go camping in the wild it is important to understand what you will see and how you can protect the local ecosystem. In order to prepare for your adventure you must answer three questions to prove to your troop leader that you are ready for this camping trip.
Task Choose the ecosystem you will camp in. You will use books, videos and the Internet to find answers to three questions. You will present your findings during a four slide powerpoint presentation to your class. There are four questions listed below. You may choose any three to include in your presentation.
1. What is a food chain? Create a food chain for your chosen ecosystem that includes at least 1 producer and 3 consumers.
2. What are some bad things that humans can do to effect food chains in your ecosystem? Write a pledge/oath that your group should promise to follow before going camping in your chosen Ecosystem. (Example...Our group pledges to protect the Rainforest Ecosystem by not...)
3. What can animals do to survive/adapt to these changes? Choose one animal that lives in your chosen ecosystem. Find a picture of that animal. Make a list of at least 2 ways that this animal adapts when humans interfere with their surroundings.
4. What challenges will you face when you go camping in this region? Create a list of items should you pack to prepare for the trip.
1. Choose an ecosystem to research using books, videos, websites, and Grolier Online. Ecosystems Choices are Rainforest, Grasslands, Desert or Tundra.
2. Check out any of the websites that might have information on your topic listed in the Resources area listed below.
3. Complete your note taking worksheet as you research .
There are many books and magazines located in your school library about Ecosystems. To supplement your research there are also websites and videos. Go to the websites listed below to help you find out more information.
You can watch the Brain Pop Videos on Food Chains, Ecosystems, Desert.
|Threats to Ecosystems||Tundra||Rainforest||Desert||Grasslands|
Your project will be graded with this Rubric.
Lincoln Junior High